Welcome, Iovine and Young Prize participants. Please note the April 10 11:59PM (PDT) Registration Deadline after which time we will no longer accept new applications.
The Iovine and Young Prize, endowed in honor of entertainment and technology entrepreneurs Jimmy Iovine and Andre Young (Dr. Dre), is awarded annually to a student or student team in the USC Iovine and Young Academy. Teams must have at least one Academy student in a leadership role and may include students from all USC Schools. Students may compete for the $10,000 award by submitting proposals that demonstrate exceptional creativity and feasibility in the design of a breakthrough business, technology, product, service or system. Proposals should have significant potential for practical application in new or existing businesses, industries or fields, and for societal transformation or impact. The award will be used to fund further development or implementation of the selected proposal.
A jury consisting of Academy faculty, industry advisors, and leaders from relevant fields will evaluate submitted proposals. The prize will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- Originality and creativity
- Level of completion, including number and nature of remaining steps to implementation
- Feasibility, including costs to manufacture, distribute, market, implement, etc.
- Potential reach or scope in terms of numbers and types of individuals, groups or communities that may benefit from the proposed idea
Project submissions should include all applicable documentation or materials, including but not limited to:
- Working prototypes
- Business model
- Marketing and communication plans
- Feasibility studies
- Supporting data or analytics
1. Apply to the Iovine and Young Prize. Applications must be completed no later than 11:59PM (PDT) Monday, April 10, 2017.
- Each team must have at least one Academy student in a leadership role.
- No student may serve as the qualifying student, as described above, for more than one team.
- All team members must be USC students in good standing.
- There is no entry fee.
- Each team shall not submit more than one proposal.
- The subject of the proposal must be the original idea of that particular team or a member thereof.
- If a team is found to have submitted an idea that is not original, it will be disqualified.
- Teams may not consist of more than five members, but can be as few as one member.
2. Presentations: As many as four teams will be asked to make a five-minute presentation to the judging panel on April 28, 2017.
3. Iovine and Young Prize Winner will be announced April 28, 2017.
4. Funds from the Iovine and Young Prize are intended to be used for necessary actions consistent with the strategies outlined in your plan and may be used for such expenses as web site development; hiring a corporate or patent attorney, accountant, bookkeeper, or similar service; purchase of a market study; etc., but may not be used for team member compensation.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org